Studies the anatomy, physiology, characteristics and environments of animals.
- investigates the interrelationships between animals and their environment by studying animals in their natural surroundings, in captivity and in laboratories
- studies and performs experiments on animals to identify species, and gather data on their growth, nutrition, reproduction, prey and predators
- studies the development and functions of animals
- devises methods for population control, especially of vermin and pest animal species
- prepares or supervises the preparation of laboratory reports and scientific papers
- may supervise and coordinate the work of technical officers and technicians