Assists individuals, families and groups with social, emotional and financial difficulties to improve quality of life by educating and supporting them and working towards change in their social environment.
- provides support while exploring alternatives with clients who experience difficulties such as marital problems, unemployment, illness and drug abuse
- assesses risks and provides intensive short-term crisis counselling for victims of domestic violence, child abuse, disasters and other crises
- assists in establishing or administering a neighbourhood house, community group, employment training program or other service
- evaluates data and writes reports including submissions requesting funding for continuing programs and new projects
- advocates on behalf of clients
- arranges for clients to be referred to other appropriate specialist professionals, support workers or community agencies
- arranges, coordinates and evaluates support services such as home and community care for elderly and disabled clients