Supervises and coordinates the activities of Structural Steel and Welding Tradespersons.
- determines work requirements and allocates duties to Structural Steel and Welding Tradespersons
- confers with managers to coordinate activities with other organisational units
- maintains attendance records and rosters
- explains and enforces safety regulations
- oversees the work of the unit and suggests improvements and changes
- confers with workers to resolve grievances
- may perform the tasks of a Structural Steel and Welding Tradesperson, such as:
- (Welder - First Class) studies blueprints, drawings or specifications to determine appropriate welding processes and other job requirements cleans and prepares metal surfaces for welding by flame-cutting, thermal cutting, gouging, bevelling, grinding or filing preheats thick materials to required temperatures fits attachments, connects hoses to gas tanks, or wires to power sources of equipment used in welding operations adjusts controls to regulate gas pressure, voltage or amperage opens valves or switches and lights torches, strikes arcs or starts machines guides torches or electrodes along lines of weld manually or by operating machine controls cleans and smooths welds by filing, chiselling or grinding cuts metal shapes using flame and thermal cutting torches
- may set up welding machines for other operators, or
- (Metal Fabricator - Boilermaker) studies drawings or specifications to determine job requirements selects, cleans and prepares metal stock, fabrication tools and equipment cuts, rolls, bends, shapes, moulds, spins, heats or hammers metal products to fabricate parts or sub-assemblies fits and assembles metal components by riveting, bolting, welding, brazing or soldering finishes products by cleaning, polishing, filing or bathing them in acidic solutions measures quality of fabricated parts or sub-assemblies may set up and operate spinning lathes to spin shaped articles from sheet or structural metal
- may plan, layout and fabricate mould patterns or templates for producing metal castings or articles.