Assesses, treats and prevents disorders in human movement caused by injury or disease.
- treats patients to reduce pain, improve circulation, strengthen muscles, improve cardio-thoracic, cardio-vascular and respiratory functions, restore joint mobility, improve balance and coordination
- administers muscle, nerve, joint and functional ability tests to identify and assess physical problems of patients
- uses the therapeutic properties of exercise, heat, cold, massage, manipulation, hydrotherapy, electrotherapy, ultraviolet and infra-red light and ultrasound in the treatment of patients
- instructs patients and their families in procedures to be continued at home
- records treatments given and patients responses and progress
- may refer to or accept referrals from medical practitioners and other health care professionals
- may specialise in sports-related injuries or treatments