Supervises and coordinates the activities of Panel Beaters.
- determines work requirements and allocates duties to Panel Beaters
- confers with managers to coordinate activities with other organisational units
- maintains attendance records and rosters
- explains and enforces safety regulations
- oversees the work of the unit and suggests improvements and changes
- confers with workers to resolve grievances
- may perform the tasks of a Panel Beater, such as:
- removes damaged panels and parts, or removes upholstery and accessories to gain access
- uses panel-beating hammers to remove dents
- straightens damaged vehicles and parts using mechanical and hydraulic equipment
- fills depressions with plastic filler, and files, grinds and sands repaired surfaces
- repairs panels by welding on new sections
- may assist vehicle body builders in constructing or restoring custom-designed, vintage or other specialty vehicles
- may spray-paint vehicles
- may form panels using metal presses, guillotines and cutters, according to dimensional drawings.