Tests materials as part of mineral and metal processing and refining, or for research into metals, ceramics, polymers and other materials in support of metallurgists and other professionals.
- obtains, measures and prepares samples for testing
- subjects materials to test procedures often using complex equipment under the direction of metallurgists and other professionals
- analyses, records and reports results
- compiles charts, graphs and other data for reports
- sets up, operates and cleans laboratory and other scientific equipment