Conducts medical laboratory tests to develop applications for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and testing of drugs for therapeutic use.
- analyses samples of body tissue and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases
- prepares tissue sections for microscopic examination
- examines and analyses samples to study the effects of microbial infections
- advises medical practitioners on the interpretation of tests and methods for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- prepares scientific papers and reports
- may test potential new chemicals for use as therapeutic treatments
- may supervise the work of technical officers