Performs surgery to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases and improve human body functions and appearance.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, one years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training. Registration or licensing is required.
- examines patients to determine the necessity of operations, estimate risks to patients and select the best operational procedures
- reviews reports on patients general physical condition, reactions to medications and medical histories
- consults with anaesthetists
- performs operations
- examines instruments, equipment, and surgical setup, to ensure that antiseptic and aseptic methods have been followed
- instructs other medical, nursing and associated staff regarding the preparation of patients and instrument and equipment requirements
- prescribes post-operative care and observes and investigates patients progress
- maintains records of operations performed
- may specialise in particular types of operations