Investigates and diagnoses internal human disorders and diseases, and administers treatment.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, one years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training. Registration or licensing is required.
- examines patients to determine the nature and extent of problems after referral from general medical practitioners or other specialists
- records medical information and data
- orders laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures
- analyses test and other medical information to make diagnoses
- prescribes and administers drugs and remedial treatment
- reports specified contagious or notifiable diseases to government health or immigration authorities
- may admit or refers patients to hospitals
- may consult other medical specialists