Diagnoses, treats and prevents human mental, emotional and behavioural disorders.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, one years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training. Registration or licensing is required.
- discusses mental and physical problems with patients to determine the nature and extent of mental, emotional or behavioural disorders
- studies patients medical and mental histories
- examines patients to determine general physical condition
- orders laboratory tests, imaging, assessment tests and other diagnostic procedures
- examines the results of tests and examinations to determine the most appropriate forms of treatment
- prescribes and administers medication, psychotherapy, or other treatment and rehabilitation programs, and arranges admission to hospitals
- consults and works with other health professionals