Diagnoses and manages patients with acute and urgent illness and injury.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, one years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training. Registration or licensing is required.
- provides specialised emergency medical care to patients of all ages with acute and urgent illness or injury
- treats the full range of acute and urgent physical or behavioural disorders
- examines patients who have acute and urgent illness or injury
- determines extent and nature of illness or injury
- recommends treatment for the diagnosed condition
- coordinates other emergency medical staff to treat patients
- assists in the development and maintenance of emergency medical systems