Provides diagnostic, treatment and preventative medical services related to human skin disorders.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, one years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training. Registration or licensing is required.
- diagnoses and treats skin disorders including infections, genetic diseases of the skin, neoplastic disease, parasitic conditions and inflammatory and auto-immune disease
- diagnoses allergic and irritant skin conditions
- conducts microscopic and macroscopic examinations, and skin sensitivity tests
- surgically excises, irradiates and uses cryotherapy for cutaneous malignancies and other growths
- advises patients about the treatment and care of skin
- prescribes and administers treatments and medications, and monitors their effectiveness and side effect profiles
- provides consultancy and treatment services to assist with the care of patients with skin disease
- counsels patients