Directs and manages the professional activities of medical staff in hospitals, health services and health service facilities.
- manages organisations and departments responsible for health service delivery, within the authority of a chief executive officer, statutory board, area health service or central health authority
- controls administrative operations, such as budget planning, and service and facility planning
- develops policies and procedures for relevant organisational activities
- represents the organisation to external bodies
- provides medico-legal services to the employing institution
- maintains quality, standards and discipline in relevant areas of medical practice in the institution