Designs garments and accessories by pursuing original ideas or adapting existing styles.
- conceives designs for garments or fashion accessories such as handbags and shoes
- prepares detailed sketches showing front, back, seams, cut and other important features of garments
- chooses combinations of fabrics, colours and trim to complement styles
- discusses designs with management, sales departments, manufacturing staff, and buyers from retail and department stores
- assists pattern makers in the production of master patterns and supervises production of sample garments
- uses computer-aided design systems
- may showcase product at fashion shows and exhibitions