Plans and directs editing of publications such as newspapers, magazines and journals prior to printing and distribution.
- makes decisions about the content of publications with other senior editors and in accordance with editorial policies and guidelines
- reviews copy to ensure that it conforms with accepted rules of style and format
- manages the day-to-day running of a newspaper or magazine
- assigns staff and photographers to stories
- writes articles, editorials or reviews
- edits copy, writes headlines and plans layout of news items in appropriate sections of publications
- may supervise journalists and undertake administrative tasks