Writes, maintains and updates programs which control the overall functioning of computers.
- develops specifications for enhancements in the operation of computer and telecommunications system software
- determines program design, and writes system programs in computer languages or machine code
- tests the validity and logic of system programs
- modifies, amends and updates software programs and database structures
- prepares documentation on the use of system software by other information technology personnel
- may contribute to the development of new software in a mainframe, personal computer or local area network environment